A pool heater is designed to last between 5-10 years. With proper care and maintenance, you can be sure to get the maximum life out of your unit and avoid costly repairs or disruptions to your service.
- Annual Inspection – Be sure to give your heater a once-over every year; particularly before you begin regular use in the cooler months.
- Clearance – All heaters should be installed on a non-combustible material such as stone or concrete, and a clearance of at least 4 feet above and around the unit should be maintained at all times.
- Clear Debris – Yard debris and foreign objects, particularly near the burner intake, are cause for concern. Be sure the entire unit is free and clear of waste. Also look for evidence of rodents nesting or chewing on the wires. Place repellant and repair any damage as needed.
- Skimmer & Filter – Replace your filter to maintain a clean output. Ensure the skimmer stays clean and unobstructed.
- Regular Use – Be sure to run the heater regularly to maintain good water circulation and prevent corrosion. But consider turning the temperature down when the pool will not be used for long periods of time. This will lower your energy consumption (i.e save you $).
- For Gas Heaters
- Check pipes for any leaks or cracks.
- Turn the thermostat knob a few times to prevent corrosion buildup.
- Ensure the pilot and burners have a clean, full flame. If you notice corrosion on the elements, they can be safely removed and cleaned with a wire brush.
- Check the burner tray for any buildup or discoloration.
- For Electric Heaters
- Maintain good airflow by keeping the area around the heater free from obstructions, bushes, and branches. Make sure the heater is elevated and dry.
Cooling and heating professionals have the knowledge and experience to make quick work of your pool heater’s annual inspection and to solve any problems that arise. The money you spend on the inspection will be offset by the costly repairs the inspection will prevent. Contact the experts at Air Source Cooling & Heating in Brookville for all your pool heater needs!